October 15, 2009

Children Learn What They Live...

...and children live what they learn.
by Dennis Waitley
If children live with criticism they learn to condemn.
If children live with tolerance they learn to be patient.
If children live with ridicule they learn to be shy.

But if children live with encouragement they learn confidence.

If children live with security they learn to have faith.

If children live with fear they grow up standing at the end of every line.

But if children live with praise they will learn to stand alone and lead their parade even if it’s raining.

If children are spoiled with indulgence and permissiveness they grow up full of compromise and greed.

If children are given challenges and responsibilities they grow up with values and goals.

If children live with depression they'll think they need to get high.

But if children live with optimism they’ll grow up thinking they were born to fly.

If children live with hate they will grow up blind to beauty and true love.

But if children live with love they’ll learn to give their love away and become blind to hate.

If children are reminded of all the bad in them we see,

they’ll become exactly what we hoped they’d never be.

But if we tell our children we’re so proud to wear their name,
they’ll learn to win believing they’ll achieve their highest aim.

Because children live what they learn and children learn what they live.

I came across this poem a few months ago and wanted to share it.

Being a mom is the hardest work I've ever done, but it also the most rewarding, and I know it is the most important work there is.

I am grateful I get to be at home with my children everyday to be the one to teach them and be there for them.

My little video here shows the latest and greatest of what they've been learning.

Brayden: alphabet sounds

Kaleb: acrobatics

And of course they're both learning to be best buds and laughing often. Especially right before bed. It's the best sound.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

I have that poem, but only the first part. I didn't know it was longer. I'm glad you posted it. Cute kids :) I love being home with mine too.

Denise and Brandon said...

Those ARE the best sounds! Thanks for capturing them and saving them for us to enjoy.

Darcy said...

That is truly a great poem. Sometime it is difficult to remember how to be the best mom. Way to go Brayden knowing her sounds. And Kaleb is just so cute. Love that laugh. So great they play together and love eachother.

Amy said...

That was such a great poem, thanks for posting that. I absolutely LOVED seeing that little video with your kids laughing. It made me laugh myself and get really excited to have my little boy. I hope he and Ella are buds like that too. That is so precious.