June 19, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Brandon took us to a minor league baseball game last week to see the San Antonio Missions play. It was Brayden's (and Kaleb's) first baseball game. It was "Mormon Night" so we got a discount and saw a lot of our ward and stake there. They welcomed all those from "The Church of....Latter-Day Saints" over the intercom.
The funny part was that it was also "$2 beer night," probably because they knew they weren't going to make any money on beer from the Mormons so they lowered the price for everybody else to get them to buy more.
The missionaries even sang the National Anthem.
I bought Brayden a mitt and a ball for the game and we practiced throwing it around that day.
As soon as we got there one of the workers that used to be in our ward saw Brayden and gave her a game ball. She felt pretty special and liked that one more than the one I got her.
Whenever a batter was up I told her to keep her eye on the ball so she wouldn't get hit. She put her glove on and held it up to protect herself.
Out of all the professional baseball and basketball games I've been to back in Chicago I had never been on the big screen before.
During a change of innings when I noticed they were filming the audience, I stood Brayden up and sure enough immediately they captured us and we got to be on the big screen for a short time. We lasted a good two and a half innings. It was almost time for bed by that time and the snacks I brought didn't last very long.
We had a really fun time.
Brayden not only enjoyed the game but mostly enjoyed watching the air force fighter jets flying and landing in the background.
Of course she would yell every time,
"It's Grandma and Papa!"
For Father's day I wanted to include these next pictures as a little tribute to all the wonderful fathers in my life.
Here's a picture of me, my older sister and my grandfather. ...my dad with Brayden and her cousin, Brooke. ...Brandon with his father.
...and Brandon as a father.
The other day I was going through some of Brandon's old things that we have from when he was a kid.
I found this...
I don't know how old he was when he wrote it but I found it pretty amusing.
In case you can't read it let me share what it says...
"I have a dream to have a good wife and four kids.
I hope to be successful in my occupation and have a nice house, a nice car, and to have all my kids do well in school.
I plan on doing this by getting married for love and not because she is rich or beautiful, but for who she is.
I plan to be a hard worker in whatever I do.
And I will teach my kids what is right and what is wrong.
If I were to get my wish I have just stated I could live a happy life and not worry about my kids taking drugs or being in a gang."
And then there was this one...
"Dear Santa,
Normally I would be asking for toys and clothes but this year I just want the killing, stealing, kidnapping, rappeing (Brandon's misspelling, not mine), graffiti to stop and have our world be like it was 50 years ago.
At this time please put a band-aid on our earth. We can't live by wearing gas masks when we go outside 50 years from now. We need the smog to be cleared and the ozone layer to be patched. We need to stop making a mess and start cleaning up.
Yours Truly,
Brandon G.
P.S. Merry Christmas
Lets heal our earth."
.
.
.
These truly put a smile on my face. As you can see Brandon has such a tender heart. He's a very giving and loving husband and father and we appreciate him very much.
.
.
.
...and he STILL really wants the earth to be clean.
Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Fun baseball game... yea for the big screen! Happy Father's Day to Brandon, he is a fantastic father!

The Firths said...

The letters were great. Glad that everyone enjoyed the game!

Denise and Brandon said...

Thanks Denise, Love ya beautiful.

Sarah H said...

Such cute pictures.
I love the letters you posted. Your husband sounds very sweet and good hearted.