August 27, 2009

My Little Lion

We took Kaleb to the dentist today to have his tongue clipped. (Actually just Brandon took him in. I refused to be there.) The skin underneath his tongue that holds it down came all the way to the end of his tongue ("tongue-tied") which restricted it's movement.
I wanted to have it done right after he was born but I was surprised how everyone in the hospital including his pediatrician treated it like it was no big deal and I shouldn't worry about it.
Well, regardless if it would cause problems, (which it very well could have especially since his was really bad) nobody wants a tied tongue so I wanted him to have the procedure.
I was so worried about him all day thinking,
"He doesn't even know what's coming. Poor little thing."
I was envisioning screams, and tears, a scalpel and blood with possible stitches and days of recovery. I worried if it would affect his eating over the next few days.
Well, turns out there was no screams, no tears, no scalpel, and not a drop of blood. It was done before Kaleb even knew what was going on. An Electrosurge was used which is a heated device that, within a second, cut his frenum and cauterized it which prevented any bleeding.
I was so relieved it was over and to know that he didn't feel a thing.
And he's been happy ever since.
Here they are right after they got back.
The video this week are various clips of this little guy and his latest thing
...roaring...
very loudly.
He's found his voice and this is how he uses it...
all day long.
That's okay. He can be my cute, cuddly, little lion.

6 comments:

Joy said...

Brandon was also tongue-tied and had to have his clipped.

Darcy said...

What a cute big voice he has! I'm glad the surgery went well for you all!

Middletonfamily said...

I wouldn't have wanted to go either. It is so hard for moms to even think of their kids hurting. I am glad things went well!

The Firths said...

I never knew that was a problem. At least, he didn't get upset.

leslie said...

that is so funny, Anna does that too, but in a more girly sounding way :) he is too cute!

Caitlin said...

I would have been worried too! I'm glad everything turned out well and that he's ok. He is so cute!