We had a pretty eventful week last week over here at the Gardner household.
What are the chances of needing to take both children to the ER at the exact same time for different reasons?
Well, that's what happened.
Kaleb had a rough night one night and woke up really ill with diarrhea. We made it through the night.
The next morning I woke up to Brayden (6am) screaming at the top of her lungs.
She had just gone pee...and it hurt.
I thought maybe we had a problem, but we went on with our day. Kaleb seemed to be doing better. He ate well and was full of energy.
Lunch time came around and Kaleb wasn't feeling too hot...except for a fever that had developed.
Brayden needed to go to the bathroom again and by this time she went hysterical. She wouldn't go.
I called the doctor to get her in thinking she may have a UTI. I knew they really couldn't do anything for us without getting her to pee in a cup so I spent the next two hours trying to get a sample at home, but she refused after trying a few times.
We tried at the doctor for another two hours...still nothing. By this time she hadn't gone pee in 10 hours. Kaleb was miserable and screaming and sick. They sent us home with some antibiotics for Brayden as a precaution. The doctor thought for sure I would be able to get her to pee before bed that night.
He obviously doesn't know my daughter.
By 7pm she was "dancing" around but still refused to go. I thought for sure she would go in her sleep.
Nope.
She woke up every two hours saying she was ready to go....and then would refuse. It was a long night. Meanwhile we were changing Kaleb's diaper every couple hours.
By the next morning I was at my wits end. We had hit 24 hours and no pee. I had no idea what kind of infection she had or what kind of damage she was doing to her body. Believe me, we tried everything to get her to go. Including every bribe in the book.
By this point Kaleb didn't look so good. He had done well drinking until then and he was slowing down and really lethargic so off to the ER we went to get Kaleb an IV and Brayden a catheter.
Usually I could pull Brandon out of school with something like this, but on this particular day he forgot his phone and I had no idea and couldn't get a hold of him so I had to do it alone with two screaming uncomfortable/sick children. Both wanting to be held and not wanting to share me.
After trying for another 45 minutes in the ER to get her to pee they put her on the table getting the "tube" ready. It was very difficult to watch cause she was terrified...but in her terror she FINALLY chose to pee...right on the table. After 28 hours of holding it. She felt so much better obviously and while they were cleaning her up she stood up, looks at me and says,
"It didn't hurt!
See I told you, mom. If I held it for a long time it wouldn't hurt. I told you."
She then started thinking of all the bribes I had bribed her with and says,
"I get to ride a horsey!" (carousel).
"I get to have a party!"
She ended up not having a UTI and it hasn't hurt her ever since.
Kaleb was very dehydrated and once he had an IV going seemed to be doing much better.
I took both kids home and I finally got a hold of Brandon and he came home early to give me a break.
It wasn't too much longer that Kaleb appeared dehydrated again...and Brayden was "dancing" around again with the fear of going pee.
Brandon took Kaleb back to the ER and he was admitted into the hospital that night.
He stayed in for about three days getting IV fluids while the virus ran it's course and Brayden continued to refuse to go to the bathroom.
Oh the drama of having children!
It's been a very eventful week.
6 comments:
What a week! I wish I would have been there to help you out a bit!! Hope everything continues to get better.
oh how traumatic for those poor little tikes! kaleb sounds like such a cuddly sweetheart. i hope everything stays back to normal for you!!
oh my gosh!poor kiddos! POOR YOU!!
so glad everyone is doing better. we had a tummy virus a few weeks ago too...it was TERRIBLE. cute pics of mr caleb though. :)
oh my goodness, those are some crazy stories! I can't believe how awful it all must have been! We had a bout with Cal in the hospital too thinking he was dehydrated, but in the end, was okay. I can't believe he was in there so long!
AND! I can't believe how old your kiddos are getting?! Oh my goodness, they are darling, Denise!
oh, and don't you hate the days when your husband forgets his phone? oh man. Doesn't it seem like it only happens on the day you need them? You for SURE did!
Glad things are back on the mend!
Wow. That's all I can say.
oh my! That is hilarious about brayden, finally going on the table, and then of course, remembering all the bribes! Kaleb is super cute in the gown too.
Post a Comment