January 27, 2011

Something Sweet

I got this nice card in the mail the other day.

I think someone wants me to keep cooking...what do you think?

How to Train Your Husband to Appreciate Your Cooking
101

1. Don't cook for the first 6 years of marriage
For Christmas I got a new John Bytheway CD about marriage. In it he talks about how in a marriage we start out appreciating everything the other does. Then those things that we once appreciated become expectations until finally they can become demands. Well, with Brandon that kind of started the other way around...

When Brandon and I were dating, I went out of my way to make him a nice meal. I made him my favorite dish and thought he would like it as much as I did. When I asked he said,
"Eh, I've had better."
Anyone who knew Brandon back then knew that he was very difficult to please. I was just figuring this out at the time. It didn't stop there and I quickly learned that if he wanted to eat something "better" he could make it himself.
So, time passed. Between that, us both being students at the beginning of our marriage, and a couple of pregnancies that required him to not only cook for himself, but to do so in the garage...
Brandon became quite the cook.
Not only was I not cooking most of the time for those first 6 years, but he was cooking for me :)
More time passed and with having children I became more interested in saving money and eating healthier.
So I decided to give this cooking thing another go around...
...and boy did Brandon appreciate it this time!
Not only does he appreciate it and makes sure I know it, but he has taught Brayden and Kaleb to say thank you every time.
What a wonderful husband.
Now we have a great system in place. Brandon picks out the meals and prepares the shopping list. I do the shopping and cook the meals.
(and vise versa every once in a while)
He's always very appreciative of every warm meal he comes home to.
And if that ever changes...he knows he can always do it himself :)
.
.
.
Right now Brandon and I are planning a fun party on Saturday for Brayden's birthday.
I'll let you know how it goes next week.
She's super excited!

5 comments:

Joan Wardell said...

So sweet! Can't wait to hear how the b-day party goes! Happy Birthday to Brayden!

Bethany Sines said...

dude, that is quite the awesome system. i wish ours was like that. : )

Nicole said...

Ha! I love it!

Tami H. said...

love Brayden's artwork !

Darcy said...

I never thought I'd see the day that Denise Wardell cooked!!!!! I'm so happy for you :) and your family. Isn't it funny, that while you're beginning your adventures in cooking, I've stopped (for the time being). Love the bday party, you are so freaking creative! And that snow storm in San Antion is just funny!