November 1, 2010

Halloween Festivities

We all had a lot of fun this year for Halloween, especially me. I let my creative streak roll starting with the crafts I made from our Super Saturday...
A scarecrow:
There are a total of 7 blocks that make up to a possibility of 20 different words for every holiday.

My sister found this idea online

"Pumpkin" frosted oreos.

I made spiders in Brayden's hair.

This next one was Brayden's idea. She insisted on wearing bones in her hair that we had already made out of play dough (baked and hardened) and the braids were the "skeletons."

And we enjoyed some Papa Murphey's Jack o' Lantern pizza...

A few weeks ago we got together with a long time friend of mine that has moved to San Antonio for the next few months and just happens to live five minutes away from us.

The kids had a blast.

Brayden's been asking to go back ever since.

Kaleb would like you to see what he is eating...

...and here so does Brayden.

The kids painted their pumpkins...

Brayden painted a "butterfly" and Kaleb painted a "bee."
Below are the kids "alternate" costumes this year. We were on our way to the fall festival at the pumpkin patch and their real Halloween costumes (you'll see at the bottom of this post) would've been hard to play around in (especially Kaleb's).
So we found a few things in their closet and the sport's box in the garage and put this together. We have a cheerleading outfit that my mom had made that Brayden was going to wear but once Kaleb got to wear knee pads, she wanted to be a baseball player and wear the "batting gloves."
They both make pretty good athletes :)
We made it to the festival and battled the crowds.
After waiting in line they finally got to ride the horses.
This is Kaleb's first time. He seemed to be a natural.
Brayden's been waiting for this moment ever since I promised it to her to get her to go to the bathroom during a little situation we had a few weeks ago. I told her we would ride the carousel horsies but since I haven't been able to find any around here, this will do.
And this is Kaleb's reaction to having to get off the horse. He really did not want that ride to end.
We made it up to him by waiting in another line to go pet the animals.
While we were waiting in line there was a man handing out food to feed some llamas. They loved doing that.
...then when they were inside with the animals Kaleb wanted to feed them the dirt.
After all the lines just to see the animals, we were done, but it was a lot of fun.
.
.
.
Now onto our real Halloween costumes
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Introducing....
The
Flintstones,
Meet the Flintstones...
...they're a modern stone age family...
with Dino
Pebbles
and Kaleb as Bam Bam
(who was the inspiration for this theme considering he is a ridiculously strong child.)
From the....town of bedrock....
They're a page right out of history.
Let's ride...with the family down the street...
Through the....courtesy of Fred's two feet...
When you're...with the Flintstones...
...we'll have a yabba dabba doo time...
...a dabba doo time...
We'll have a gay old time!
Wiiiiiilmaaaaaa!
I had a lot of fun this year doing a theme and making our costumes. We got first place at our ward's Halloween Party. Woo hoo! I was lucky to get Brayden to cooperate. She's already at the stage where I can't tell her what to wear so I have my way of getting her to choose what I want her to. For this costume I got her excited about it a few months ago. The pebbles and bam bam cartoon just happened to come on one night so I recorded it and we've been buying "Fruity Pebbles" and "Cocoa Pebbles" cereal as a treat. Before too long she was a fan and super excited about it.
For Kaleb I thought I might be lucky to get him to wear his bam bam hat for at least a picture, but immediately after I made it, he wanted it on his head and never wanted to take it off so we had no problem with that. The rest of his costume was a different story. He loves to get out of the house so all I had to do was tell him that we'll "go" as soon as he puts his costume on. He didn't hestitate after that. Anything to get out of the house. He gladly put it on just so we could leave.
We had fun trick-or-treating. After the first house Kaleb sat right down and wanted to eat what he got. He just couldn't understand why not. All he wanted to do was ride in the stroller and eat some candy. Maybe next year I'll make him work a little harder for it :)
We weren't gone for too long, but while we were out we left a bowl of candy on our front porch. When we got back, not just the candy, but the entire bowl was gone! Why take the bowl?
The next day we were talking about it and Brayden said,
"Somebody chose a 'trick' not a 'treat."
Our neighbor came by later that day delivering an item we bought from one of her children's fundraisers and we told her about it. They went on their way and five minutes later came back with our bowl. As they made another delivery another neighbor had found it in their yard.
I'm glad all that candy is gone cause I didn't want any more candy than we already have, but I'm more glad our bowl is back now too.
Other than that we had a Yabba Dabba Doo Time!
Hope you did too!

5 comments:

Joan Wardell said...

Fantastic costumes!!! by the way...Debbie gets credit for finding the oreo covered pumpkin cookies online. I just forwarded it to you. Your creativity is awesome!

Bethany Sines said...

love love love those costumes!! your kids are so cute and so happy, it's just freaking adorable.

The Firths said...

We've decided that you're making the rest of us look bad. When do you have time for all this stuff? Just kidding, everything was awesome. We are amazed at everything you're able to do...

Darcy said...

I love how creative you are! Sounds like you had a great month. Great costume idea... and you are so sneaky with Miss Brayden! :) I need ideas for me and the boys for next year.

Tami H. said...

Wow!!! These turned out awesome! I loooove Caleb's costume! and the car! Can't believe that one. All the costumes were great - great job!